News, Updates, and Project Information

Understanding the Energy Assistance Program (EAP)

Woman on the phone with representative of Energy Assistance Program (EAP) because she needs help paying her power bill.

Minnesota’s Cold Weather Rule (CWR) went into effect on October 1, offering renters and homeowners protection from their electric or gas service being disconnected through April 30, 2024. However, to avoid utility shutoff, eligible residents must apply for the Energy Assistance Program (EAP). Read on to learn more about the CWR and how to apply for EAP.

How Utility Disconnection Works Under Minnesota’s CWR

As outlined by the Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association (MMUA), the utility must provide a customer with the following prior to disconnecting service:

  • Notice of proposed disconnection
  • Statement covering customer’s rights and responsibilities
  • List of local energy assistance providers
  • Form(s) for customer to declare inability to pay
  • Information on available payment plans and other options for securing continued service

Should you receive a proposed disconnection notice, contact Delano Municipal Utilities ASAP to request a CWR payment plan.

How to Apply for the Energy Assistance Program

Given the account is in their name, both renters and homeowners qualify for Energy Assistance. If you’re concerned about paying your heating bills this season, contact the Wright County Community Action (WCCA) at (320)-963-6500. They will help you get an EAP application form and answer any questions you may have regarding the application, process, and program.

Helpful Resources

Contact Delano Municipal Utilities for EAP and CWR Assistance

At Delano Municipal Utilities (DMU), we value excellence and customer service in pursuit of our mission: To provide consistent and dependable power and water services to our customers in a sustainable and economical manner. And that includes helping ensure that every Delano resident receives continued heat throughout the winter with the Energy Assistance Program.

Contact us today to learn more CWR protection, applying for EAP and payment plans, or any other questions.